In this workshop, we aim to equip the participants with theoretical and practical skills related to the aspects of capturing, controlling and processing the sound produced by the string instrument. The presented information is dedicated to electrical systems incorporated in string instruments, both electric and acoustic. The proposed goal of the workshop is to give the participant understanding about the electrical functioning of the instrument and the ability to modify it according to his or her tonal and practical preferences in an autonomous fashion. After the workshop, the participants will be able to understand how a pickup works and comprehend the differences between various types of pickups, as well as alter and increase the range of configurations between several pickups. Another very interesting point is the acquisition of the ability of identifying and understanding the relationship between common problems and their causes, as well as defining solutions to them.
The workshop is held in Guitar Rehab’s shop.
Adriano Sérgio – Luthier and Guitar tech
Hugo Domingos – Luthier
Guitarists and bassists, professionals and amateurs, music shop dealers, etc.
Number of Participants
Maximum number of 6 participants.
Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 07:00 PM (1 hour lunch break)
Theoretical and Practical Workshop Programme
– Definition of an electrical circuit
– Identification and explanation of the different components of an electrical circuit (resistance, condenser, pickup, switch, etc.)
– The functioning of the pickup and it’s relationship with the strings
– The different types of pickups (single-coil, humbucker, piezo, condenser)
– The tin solder
– Identification of common problems and respective solutions
– Electrical circuit shielding options for better signal-to-noise ratio
The participants must bring an instrument with which they will apply the acquired knowledge.
– Learning to solder
– Handling techniques and preparation of cabling for use
– Shielding installation with copper, conductive paint, etc.
– Pickup installation
– Input jack replacement
– Potentiometer and switch wiring
– Troubleshooting failures